Dentists, also called dental surgeons, are the doctors who specialize in Dentistry. Dentistry, dental medicine consists of the study, diagnosis, prevention, and oral cavity disease treatment.
The oral cavity includes the tooth, lips ( hard palate, soft palate, retromolar trigone, buccal mucosa, and floor of the mouth under the tongue).
In general, there are seven types of the dentist-
- General Dentist– provide regular dental cleaning and routine checkup. It also promotes good dental health and prevents dental disease.
- Periodontist or Pediatric Dentist – specializes in diagnosing and treating periodontal disease. Experts in the treatment of oral inflammation and gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis.
- Orthodontist- specializes in diagnosing teeth and jaw alignment. They fix and work to treat braces, retainers, and dental abnormalities, including crooked teeth, bite problems, crowded teeth, and jaws misalignment. Their primary responsibility is to improve a patient’s bite.
- Pedodontists– They are specialized in the treatment of children’s dental care. A pedodontist typically treats the child between the age of six months to 13 years old. This dentist can detect, treat problems with decayed, missing, crowded, or crooked teeth.
- Endodontists– Endodontists maintain the teeth through endodontic therapy, specifically with issues troubling the tooth’s nerve. They performed root canal treatment, Endodontic treatment, and surgery Traumatic dental injuries and dental implants.
- Oral Pathologist or Oral Surgeon- specializes in surgery of teeth and jaws and may work closely with ear, nose, and throat specialists.
- Prosthodontist– specializes in repairing teeth and jawbones, provides cosmetic treatment to improve teeth whitening. They also fit dentures, crowns, and bridges in the oral cavity if needed.
What does a dentist do?
Generally, a dentist has many responsibilities. Here are some significant duties of a dentist.
- Examination, diagnose, and treat oral diseases of Patients’ dental health and prescribe medication.
- Repair or remove the damaged teeth
- Creating awareness among patients about the diets, flossing, use of fluoride, and other dental care.
- Remove decay from teeth and fill cavities make and aware patients of diets, flossing, fluoride, and other mouth aspects.
- Monitoring growth and development of the teeth and jaws.
- Admire Anesthetics to keep patient pain relief during treatment
- Fixes new jaws or teeth through modals and measurement.
- They organize surgical operations on the teeth, bones, and oral cavity.
Nowadays, dentists are using new technologies and devices such as X-ray machines, lasers, drills, brushes, scalpels, and other medical instruments for the treatment.
Covid19 and Dental Care
Dental treatment methods have been changed due to COVID-19 pandemic . As per guidelines by the American Dental Association (A.D.A) that recommends following critical points to the dental team and patients.
- Clean, replace, and cover tools between uses
- Disinfect all surfaces and means more often
- Cover your mouth with a rubber dental dam
- Wear more protective gear than usual
- Space out appointments
- Call before your appointment to ask about your health
- Check your temperature and other symptoms
- Require you to wear a face mask.
- Ask about patients recent travel
- Ask whether you’ve been around people who are infected with COVID-19
- Tell them not to arrive early
- Ask them to limit the number of people you bring with you, such as children
- Patients are advised to wait outside until the doctor is ready for them.
- Place chairs 6 feet apart in the waiting room for maintaining social distancing.
- Get rid of everyday things people touch in the waiting room, such as toys and magazines.
All these significant steps will help them out in not getting affected by COVID 19.